How to create a capsule wardrobe
According to professionals, you only need a handful of top quality items to create a capsule wardrobe. What is a capsule wardrobe you ask? A capsule wardrobe is a selection of staple pieces designed to tie-in and create an array of different looks, without the hassle. With fashion ever-changing it’s hard to keep up with new trends, so investing in a capsule wardrobe complete with timeless styles that’ll never go out of fashion, is a no-brainer.
Dressing can be tricky sometimes, but with key styles hanging in your wardrobe, you’re all set. So what are these staple items I speak of? Take a look at my edit of capsule pieces every woman should have in their wardrobe.
Capsule Look 1: Everyday Essentials
1.Levis Jeans, A good pair of jeans will become your best friend and something you’ll not ever want to take off. They can flatter your legs and be worn for casual days or evenings out.
2. Simple White Tee. A simple cotton white tee can go with everything and be dressed-up or down. Wear with jeans, tucked into trousers, or wear under a slip dress - the choice is yours!
3. Leather Belt. A leather belt is not just something to help keep your trousers up, a belt is a stylish accessory you can add to any outfit to give it that something special.
Capsule Look 2: Smart Casual Chic
4. White Shirt. Channel your inner Parisian with a simple white shirt, this is perfect for a cool day-to-evening look and can be teamed with absolutely anything. You’ll find it difficult to find something it doesn’t go with!
5. Prince of Wales Checked Blazer. A grey checked blazer is perfect to just throw-on and go. It looks smart and super stylish. Team with jeans and a white shirt.
Capsule Look 3: Casual Sundays
6. Chunky Knit Cardigan. For as long as I can remember, a chunky knit cardigan has always had a place in my wardrobe. It’s perfect for A/W and can even work well for cooler days within S/S.
7. Mom Jeans. Comfortable, stylish and easy-to-wear, Mom jeans are perfect for a stylish everyday look. You can even dress up with heels and a blouse for an evening out.
8. Breton Striped Tee. A capsule wardrobe wouldn’t be complete without a Breton Stripe Top. Effortlessly cool and perfect for all seasons, a striped top is the best thing ever.
9. Adidas Stan Smiths. Season-upon-season Stan Smiths are at the top of every bloggers to-wear list and go with absolutely everything, plus they are super comfy!
Capsule Look 4: Mad for Monochrome
10. Faux Fur Biker Jacket. Another cool staple to own is a biker jacket. Not only will it keep you warm, it will keep you looking cool too.
11. Black Culottes. Weather you have to dress smart for work, or want an alternative evening outfit, these black culottes are the perfect choice. Team with heels or your new Stan Smith trainers.
12. Black Chelsea Boots. Chelsea boots are a must-have addition to your shoe collection. Comfortable and stylish, these boots look great teamed with a skinny jean or dress.
There are of course more pieces that can be associated with a ‘Capsule Wardrobe’, however these styles can be more subjective to your own individual style and something you can NOT have in your wardrobe. For me, this has to be a silk leopard print blouse. I’ve had mine for five years, yes FIVE whole years and I still wear it regularly.
Another item I would say is capsule to me is a little black dress, an LBD never goes out of style and can be worn year-after-year. Last but not least, I would always recommend getting a denim shirt. A denim shirt can be worn as a lightweight jacket, under a jumper, or simply worn on its own with a pair of leather trousers!
My recommended capsule brands are….
& Other Stories
Rag & Bone
So now you have all the ingredients to help you on your way to creating your very own capsule wardrobe. Don’t want to go it alone? I’m happy to help you!